Friday, April 17, 2009

awesome (birthday) pancake recipe

ok so I am a big pancake fan and had been on the look out for a pancake recipe that was just right for some time! And people, I think this one from Australian Table magazine (March 2008), is it! So crack out the frying pan and get cooking!

makes about 15
prep time 10 mins
cooking time 20 mins

2 cups of plain flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
60g butter, melted, plus 50g extra
1 egg lightly beaten
2 punnets blueberries (if using but I typically don't)
maple syrup (the real stuff people - 'Camp' all the way for me!)

1. Sift flour with sugar, bicarb soda and 1 teaspoon of salt into a bowl. Combine buttermilk, milk, melted butter and egg in a jug. Stir milk mixture into the flour mixture to JUST COMBINE (really important not to over stir here!). The batter should still be a little lumpy. 

2. Heat a little extra butter in a non-stick frying pan on medium. In batches, spoon 1/4 cup measures of batter into pan leaving room to spread. Press five blueberries into each (if using) and cook for one minute, until bubbles appear. Turn and cook for another minute until golden. Transfer to a warm plate while cooking remaining pancakes, adding more butter as needed.

3. Top with remaining blueberries and drizzle with maple syrup to serve.

Now then, just a few of my notes:

- make sure you definitely sift the dry ingredients. I think this makes a real difference to how light and puffed up they get.
- try to hold back on the stirring. You'll feel like it's too lumpy but over stirring it makes them really heavy. Believe me, I've done it!
- I have found it works better with my non-stick fry pan when I DON'T add extra butter. The addition of more butter  just seems to make the edges go all crispy. They seem to cook really evenly on just the non-stick surface. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails