Friday, May 1, 2009

a (brief) moment to myself

on Thursday I had a rare pair of helping hands in the form of my mother-in-law and so I managed to slip away to pick up my long awaited copy of A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg (insert rant here about how long we have to wait in Australia to get a hold of these books - grrrrr!). My favourite little independent books store is one suburb over and features a really cute little cafe out the back. It seems not many people have cottoned on to the cafe because it always appears fairly empty. Perfect for a frazzled mama desperate for a moment of solitude with my new book!

I am not yet in the habit of carting around my huge camera so I had to make a mental (and written), picture of the following scene ... 

me, sitting alone at a small table next to a window overlooking a busy street. Cars and people coming and going on a cold and wet day. The window is open a tiny bit, just enough to let in a slight cool breeze to remind me that I was in a cosy and warm place. On a plate in front of me a slice of caramel macadamia nut crumble slice (yes, it tasted as good as it sounds), shortly accompanied by the steaming pot of tea delivered to my table (why is it that tea always tastes so good if it's made by somebody else?). Then that amazing moment when I cracked open the front cover of my new book and knew that i would be able to read at least the forward without being interrupted. Bliss I tell you!

I know it's sad that I felt the need to take a mental picture but honestly, I can't imagine when I will find myself alone again any time soon! 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful moment! And you're right, tea always tastes that much better when someone else has made it.

    It's amazing how having children makes you appreciate the simple pleasures in life! I particularly love the weight of the silence in the house when they've gone out and you've stayed behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had some time to yourself. I think it's even better that you didn't have the camera. Sometimes we just need to be in the moment, and not be thinking about how to document the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails