Wednesday, May 6, 2009

in stitches

well, you may remember this post where I outted myself and my silliness when I cut out two exact legs for a pair of pants I was making for my little man? I can't tell you what a crushing blow this was to my sewing self-esteem and I'm not sure why. Did I really expect to sit down with a pattern and a machine after hmmm TWENTY YEARS and expect not to make some small (and yes, ok huge) mistakes early on? But still, I think it brought back all that teenage disappointment sitting in home ec. and realising my stuff wasn't as good as the person siting next to me - oh the angst!

Well anyway soon after that post, help arrived in the form of my sewing superhero. Melanie from M* (cool lady, cool blog, awesome name - he he!), wrote up an entire post showing me in step-by-step photos and drawings how she felt I could best save the pants. Needless to say I was totally blown away by the time and effort she put into this tutorial (in fact I was only just thinking she could perhaps set up a regular "help" desk for people in similarly sticky situations ;)
 
I had already purchased some denim thinking I would create two pairs of pants, each with an alternating leg. But in the end, especially given the weight of denim compared to the cotton of the animal print making an alternating pair feel a bit uneven, I have gone with Melanie's suggestion and added two side panels to the pants. 

Unfortunately I realised late last night that the difficult pattern I was initially following also called for an added waistband! I mean seriously, could these pants get any more complicated?! Of course I had none of the animal print left so I have had to attach a waist band made out of the denim. Not an ideal fabric to be making a waistband out of I must add but so far so good.
Add to that all the fun of trying to fit them on an 18 month old who quite literally NEVER STOPS and I've now got myself one (slightly stressed out) pair of pants!



Right, now to boost my ego for a bit with some simple stuff like a pin cushion (this lovely lady has taken all the leg work out of finding the ideal pattern)!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it to the end! I'm impressed because for me, there is nothing like a major error to make me lose interest and deter me from my goal. So, well done on persisting! Cheers for the shout out too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! They look fantastic!! I am so happy it worked out!! And I hate to say it because I know it gave you grief but the fact you needed to make a waist band has worked out even better! The waistband ties in with the sides really well!! Well done Mel! I am so glad you didn't have to waste your fabric and you now have a funky pair of pants for your little one!! Yay *doing a little dance*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pants look great. Every project I make has unexpected twists and turns. I always make a mistake. It's part of the process, I guess. I appreciate hearing about your process, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails