Friday, July 31, 2009

behold!

Remember this fabric from Sunday Stash?




















Well look! 






















Ta da! I have actually managed to make myself an article of clothing! 

And I've even worn it out and it didn't fall apart! And nobody seemed to be pointing and laughing at the bad "homemade-ness" of it! I'll admit I did secretly wish that someone might stop me and ask where I got it from so that I could modestly exclaim, 

"oh! This? I MADE IT MYSELF!!!!!!" 

and then bask in the glory that would be their utter astonishment that I had made such a beautiful ... sorry. I shall snap out of that right now.

I got the hot tip on this pattern from the Tessuti blog and had to order it in from Canada.



 
























(sorry, bad photo)

I know it says "easy-to-sew" up the top there but it certainly challenged my basic sewing skills. Darts, waistbands and pockets *shudder*. Luckily this version did not require a zip. I'm working my way slowly up to that world of scariness!

 

21 comments:

  1. You did a great job.
    "Hey! Where did you get that great skirt?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Insert wolf whistle -

    Well done - it's looks bloddy fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhhh I meant bloody fabulous - too late and too many vinos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippeeee! It looks fantastic!!! Congratulations. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Skirt looks Great...I don't sew clothes either..I am hearing you regarding the pattern...You are allowed to Skite...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, I would gladly wear it (but probably won't fit in it)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work Mel. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Andi - oh and in answer to your question ... "I MADE IT MYSELF!" Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that cracks me up Kate! Hope the vino was good! And thanks a bloddy lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Leonie! I am now trying to figure out if there is enough fabric left to send to you with some of the black linen for some fishermans pants. How much do you need for the top fold over bit?

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes well there is a bit of wiggling involved getting the skirt over the 'ol hips I have to say ... I figured the sizing was American and so went with a size ten but it is VERY snug!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Note to self...never drink and type :)
    Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:58:12 -0700
    To: katedixon80@hotmail.co.uk
    From: js-kit-m2c-KFLLTK6CD64B4364H063RTFFBN1NKAC3ER2OLHL9S8KE3IGEK08G@reply.js-kit.com
    Subject: Reply to your comment...

    ReplyDelete
  13. RED PEPPER QUILTSAugust 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM

    Skirt looks fabulous! G-reeen with envy here - I have never made an article of clothing, and kinda wish I could. It looks great, A+ for effort, fabric choice, and pattern style!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! Just love that fabric. Isn't it satisfying to make your own clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic skirt!!! Very nice! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh well done Mel! It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really cute (bloddy cute in fact :-)
    Love it in that fabric too!
    I've been looking for a skirt pattern for ages - an a-liny one but haven't seen any I like. Can I ask where you got it? I think I want to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, your so fabulous and so is the skirt! So clever! Darts, waistbands and pockets do not sound simple! But I have jsut attempted my first zip and if you can do darts, you can do the zip. The secret is to hand tack it in place, with your handstitching exactly where you want to machine stitch. If you follow the hand stitches you zip will be perfect... in theory...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am in awe of your Darts, Waistbands and Pockets. Am also mortally terrified of zippery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The skirt is darling - great job!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails