Wednesday, July 1, 2009

sewing on the side

One could be forgiven for thinking that the only sewing I do is quilt related. And I guess at the moment my quilt is my main focus but I did want to share a bit sewing on the side I have been enjoying over the last month or so.

First up, two little presents for a special little person in my life who turned one recently ...


This little fella (I call him Percy - my homage to the book "Owl Babies"), from More Softies which I was able to borrow from the library. My local library seems to be about ten years behind the times with it's collection so it was a miracle I got my hands on a copy of this book! his head went a bit wonky in the bit where I had to hand sew it shut but hey, he was more first softie so it was a steep learning curve!


Then there was little number above: "The Kidlet" Wall Pocket from JCasa *handmade. A very handy little pouch with a patchwork pocket at the front that is designed to hang off a door knob and be a sort of catch-all for all those bits and pieces. You might recognise the Japanese animal print from the now infamous pants I made for my little fella (which, incidently he is forced to wear at least twice a week due to all the blood, sweat and tears that went into them!). 

Ok. Still there? Cool. 


Now we have a skirt I made from the same pattern as this one however this time I added a panel of this gorgeous fabric (I can't remember the name of it but it's cut from a fat quarter that I just had to have a few months ago. Does anyone know it's name?). 

The rest of the skirt is made from a quite heavy denim from Spotlight. I thought long and hard about how to attach the patterned fabric to the base of the skirt. Considering I was attaching it to some pretty heavy duty denim I decided to back the fabric with some interfacing first which seemed to stiffen it up quite nicely. 

Now if you're like me and have a, "I will only wear skirts" child, then check out the awesome collection of free skirt tutorials that Gret over at a little red ribbon has sourced. This list will keep me going for a few more months of sewing on the side. Thanks Gret!

11 comments:

  1. Oh Percy...come fly to my house. He is just too sweet Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the heck do you fit in Sewing on the Side?! As if that weren't impressive enough, how did you get that stitchery on your owl is 'fairy' tiny...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sewing machine is a new toy for me so I still have a slight obsession with it but this was all done over about a month and a half and I just haven't had the chance to blog about it! The stitching on the owl I did over a couple of nights. It was pretty meditative due to it's teeny tiny-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read my sewing machine manual yet. Took me a good hour to
    work out that if I wanted to sort out my stitch tension I'd better work out
    what a 'shutter' was and clean it! Hmn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey! What's a shutter!? Every time I pick up my manual (which has been twice so far), I fall in love with my machine all over again (i.e "it can do that too? Wow!") Now if it could just make me a coffee and change a nappy I'd marry it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your owl Mel, it's just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. RED PEPPER QUILTSJuly 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM

    Oh wow! You have been stitching away like crazy! Love the softie, but even more so the skirt! So envious! I have never sewn any clothes and even have difficulty taking up the hem in skirts and pants! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Percy is beautiful! I've made a couple of these softie owls and if you leave the hole to sew up either on the side where it's straight or at the bottom it seems to 'disappear' more easily!
    Happy sewing, these things are addictive!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane - that is a very good idea. It was weird that the pattern actually suggested the opening to be at the top like that. I'm not confident at changing patterns yet but I reckon I will take up your suggestion when I make another one ... or two!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the owl softie- especially the colors of the fabrics you chose to use together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh! i adore that skirt! I want one to wear for myself too! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails