Sunday, September 13, 2009

correct me if I'm wrong ...

butterflies for the net

... but I just may well have come up with a semi-original idea!* After months of being a complete copy cat I had given up hope of ever thinking up something that didn't involve me following somebody else's pattern. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

So the story goes like this. The other day I convinced the kids that we needed to go and get some new hand soap ... at the health food store ... that's a few doors up from the Salvo's. Having been inspired by the thrifting tips in Handmade Home I was hoping to find some fabric in the form of pillowcases, bedspreads, tablecloths - whatever really. And I did find those things but what I also found was a dusty old mosquito net for TEN BUCKS! I have looked at mosquito nets for above Sienna's bed since she was a baby and just never committed to one but geez, $10?! How could I resist?

We got it home where it was duly soaked and then hung on the line for some solar treatment in this gorgeous spring weather.

Fast forward to that evening as we were reading one of our favourite Charlie and Lola books and *pop* light bulb moment! I suggested my plan to Sienna whose face promptly lit up with excitement at out new "project". 

Perhaps it would have been a better idea not to suggest it to her so close to bed time because she was standing at my side of the bed at 5:55am the next morning wanting to get started on, "our work".

A few hours and a few caffeinated beverages later saw Sienna and I busy cutting out butterfly shapes a la Charlie and Lola style (see, not totally original), to sew onto the mosquito net. After two lunchtime sewing sessions we have .....

butterfly net

... one butterfly embellished mosquito net. And just quietly I'm loving that the butterflies are outside the net not in it ;)

butterfly net

Moments after it was hung last night Sienna said, "I want it to be bedtime now!" Excellent. 


* I completely understand I am not the first one to come up with sticking stuff on to a mosquito net. Just that I haven't seen this particular project anywhere ... :)

16 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous! Well done! Very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How utterly divine, you may have started something here with little girls who look up to Lola' as their role model! :) I'm glad you had fun together on this special project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous project (with exactly the right end result too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god don't you just loooove Lola!? And Charlie is too divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mel, it's simply beautiful. How magical for Sienna! It's a great idea and looks stunning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous project to do with your daughter. Mine would be very impressed. Nice to find your blog too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel what a great idea, and so pretty!! She's a lucky girl. Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I'm a stickler too for the acknowledgement of another's idea, but I also reckon taking inspiration from various sources is how the new ones come about. Well done chook! (and who can beat Sienna's take on things!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is so cute! What a fantastic idea! Love the prettiness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about original ideas, it seems everything has been done! But you are right, I haven't seen anything like this, or as cute as this, before. Well done! How sweet does she look curled up on her bed too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love it!!!! Congratulations to you, it looks just beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous... I too long for the day when I don't find a gazillion tutorials outlining what I think was my 'new idea'. Sigh. The joys and perils of the WWW :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! GREAT Idea! If I ever have a little girl, I'm stealing YOUR idea ;-) Anything to make bedtime easy, sounds fab to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is exactly what I would love to do in Poppy's room, may have to steal, um I mean borrow that one. Carlie and Lola as inspirations you can't go wrong I reckon

    ReplyDelete
  15. lexi: pottymouthmamaSeptember 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

    Fantastic - I love it, LOVE IT! What a great effect, and I bet Sienna had such a blast doing it with you. I would love it in MY room!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails