Thursday, October 1, 2009

my creative space - birthday bunnies

It's been a softie factory round these parts of late. Three birthday's* for three gorgeous girls in quick succession had me dashing for the books in search of something I could make as opposed to buying something for a change. 

Perhaps unwisely I chose the same pattern for two of the birthday girls, both of whom go to preschool with Sienna. I had visions of them (or their parents), comparing notes on what a dodgy gift giver I was**. Not only had I MADE something but it was from the same pattern! That's probably against some kind of crafty gift giving law right?

Luckily (?) one of the parties was cancelled so there was no opportunities for comparison. But seriously once I had made one of these bunnies, (courtesy of a pattern from Kirsten Doran), I just couldn't stop! They started breeding ...

bunny

dotty bunny

Well, sort of ;)

Little bags in co-ordinating fabric were also called for I felt. Except I only remembered to photograph one of them - oops ;)

dotty tote

For more creative spaces hop on over to Kirsty's burrow ... sorry. Too much coffee. 

* I forgot to take a photo of the third pressie which is a shame because it was the super cool "Zing the Polite Cat" from One Red Robin via Meet Me at Mikes. Very cool cat that one.

** In the end of course both girls seemed super excited by their bunnies and bags but there was that moment of panic when I placed our offering on the pile*** of very nicely, professionally wrapped LARGE gifts that had me wondering whether I should dash to the nearest enormous toy store. Do you know that feeling? 

*** In the end I just poked it down deep into the pile :)

26 comments:

  1. Oh you never had anything to worry about those bunnies are absolutely adorable..LOVE THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this pattern too - isn't it just fabulous! I have to say, your bunnies look gorgeous and I think it is highly unlikely that any parents would have been turning their noses up.

    But, if in the unlikely (did I say that already) event they did...you could in your nicest sugar 'n cream voice, inform them just how wonderful (and expensive) honeycomb kei fabric is...although...maybe that would just be lost on non-fabric obsessed peeps??!!

    I love them, and next time we throw a party for maybe...I'll slip you an invite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of the dots. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a lovely little blurb about how great your rabbits were and how any little girl would love to receive a gift like that but then it disappeared because I pressed cancel instead of post!

    Love your space and the things you make as usual Mel! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well, you are very sweet but I must confess it is not 'the' kei honeycomb dots but rather the cheaper Spotlight version - dots are just as nice but the fabric is no where near as soft. The real honeycomb just sits on the shelf looking pretty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Teresa. Not as hard on the eyes in real life as it is in the photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh crikey I do that all the time and almost throw the computer across the room! Thanks Melanie x

    BTW I think you are super to take on the Blogtober thingo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these are super cute and I'd be chuffed if someone made one for my littlies (and I know they would be too), they are so cute, and I really love the fabrics you made them in. Love the matching bags too - LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they are brilliant!! You should make every kid in the street one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dottie bunnies are lovely and I'm sure that any little person would be stoked to receive one. The matching bag is just the cherry on top.

    Tara (Aussie-Waffler)

    ReplyDelete
  11. But they are so divine!!! I bet they were the favourite gifts out of the whole bunch! I happened to be looking through a toy catalogue today and there was not one thing I wanted to buy as a gift... it's all crap. Your gifts are totally amazing and I'm sure you'll be hearing about it when preschool starts again! :) K

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's a different spin Mel... rather than comparisons being made, maybe one girl would be sad that she too didn't get one of your gorgeous bunnies. Isn't it crazy how we doubt the value of handmade things. Maybe in terms of $$$ our handmade things are not worth as much... until you add in the time taken to thoughtfully match a present to the person, then find materials and make the item. Netx time I hope you feel proud enough to put your present on top of that pile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you are saying, because I am the daggy gift-giving Auntie, but cut it out RIGHT NOW. Your pressies are waaaay bigger than those large 'professionally wrapped' ones. Hey! Yours were made with soul!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore those bunnies, really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, yes what everyone else said. Hooray for handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alisa : ink caravanOctober 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

    Nothing beats a handmade gift, and receiving one of yours would be the best, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Lexi! (is it totally uncool that I almost fell off my chair when I saw that you had visited?!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummmm ... yeah .... lots of kids in this street though! Thinking I should at least aim to make one for Mirabel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww thanks Tara - am beginning to feel way better about this home made gift giving thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes! it is TOTALLY crazy when I know damn well I would LOVE for my kids to receive something handmade! Will let you know if I have the guts next time to put it on top ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes Tania I thought of you as I wrote about my worries but I know you're right you're right I know you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  22. *sigh* I know - it's outta my system. I shall give handmade with pride from now on! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Alisa! Remind me when it's your birthday and I'll whip something up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The bunnies are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. I love your banner - the painted hand is awesome.

    2. The bunnies are adorable. I do know that feeling, though, of putting my handmade gift down in the middle of all the fancy gifts and wanting to run from the room. I've actually gone so far as to give my gift before or after a party so as not to embarrass myself!

    3. Thanks for the sweet comments and visit. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails