Thursday, December 31, 2009

a little bit late and a little bit early

Wow. Christmas. What a wild ride that was. I had planned on sharing all the handmade stuff I was up crazily sewing, sticking, stuffing, stitching until the wee small hours but it all seems a bit late now! And also I forgot to take photos of most of it as we raced out the door on to the next Chrissy gathering.

I did thankfully take five minutes to snap some shots of this project. A beach blanket for my friend Antonia who visits the beach EVERY DAY with her little fella Max. Thankfully I started this a few months ago when I got my hands on a copy of Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule.

beach blanket

Antonia's beach blanket


The backing is a fairly sturdy old table cloth and the front is made up of pillowcases all sourced from my local Vinnie's. You gotta love that. All sewn together with some store bought binding. In fact I think the binding was the most costly part!

And because my friend loves red (and I couldn't find any red pillowcases) and because she is a passionate advocate for choosing only organic and locally grown produce I couldn't resist adding this

certified organic ....

A little scrap of fabric I purchased from Aunty Cookie way back at the Finders Keepers markets in May. See it pays to go through your entire stash sometimes ... especially when it all comes crashing to the ground in a massive pile when attempting to extract a bit right at the bottom of one of the towers!

So that's the late bit. The early bit is to get in and say a very Happy New Year to you and your family. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy to be seeing the back of this year. Onward and upward and all that. Having said that this is the year that I started this blog, sat down at a sewing machine again and 'met' all of you! And wow, where would I be without this amazing community. A whole lot lonelier that's for sure!

I don't do new year's resolutions. The last one I made, to become a gym junkie with the hope of looking like Sporty Spice, went so far astray I figured they were best left un-resolved! But I do like to make suggestions to myself for how I might live and love better ... and I might share them in the New Year!

In the meantime perhaps you would like to share yours? I'd love to hear your plans for 2010!

Clinking my cyber glass with you all. Catch you on the other side!

6 comments:

  1. I'm super impressed with your beach blanket, what a lucky friend! These sort of pressies last forever and show how much you care. Resolutions...just going to try and keep healthy, excercise more (wouldn't be hard!), try to have a calmer household and work out my priorities with work/study/homelife. Oh, and read a heap of books! Hope you have fun tonight and that the New Year holds lots of new adventures and fun for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Merry Christmas!! Lovely, lovely rug - gorgeous.

    Happy New Year Mel x

    PS: I'm going to stop buying fabric UNLESS I plan on sewing it within a week of purchase. Stay tuned for my MASSIVE de-stash in Feb x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great beach blanket! I keep putting off writing my resolutions, I think I need a bit more time. I hope you have the most wonderful new year. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year toots! Hope it's a super good one for you, full of delights. You deserve it. Lots of McLovin, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE it! You know how much I do! Christened it today on the beach with a latte and my two fellas! What a way to bring in 2010! I am the luckiest that's for sure! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. You so know how to do 'quilt'! And Sporty Spice always looked a whole lot more like Scary Spice to me. Just sayin'. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails