Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Giving Tree


"Once there was a tree ...

climb


and she loved a little boy (and a girl!),


ladybug

and everyday the boy (and girl!), would come and (s)he would gather her leaves and make them into crowns and play king of the forest. 

tree climbing

He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches ..."*


This beautiful big old frangipani tree has been providing hours of fun at out place lately. I love that no matter how many toys and games there are laying about, the tree seems to be getting first look in upon waking in the morning and whenever we arrive home after being out. Perhaps it also has something to do with being able to spy on the big dog next door from a safe height.


vintage frangipani climbing

My sister, Clare in a spot of vintage tree climbing in Brisbane circa late 70's. She has been using this photo (among others) to showcase her resin jewellery.

When was the last time you climbed a tree?

* "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein 1964

12 comments:

  1. Whenever my sister and I go to New Farm park we always end up climbing a tree or two. There are just such big old inviting amazing trees there waiting to help you up. I know I climbed one last year, but I will have to put it on the to do list for this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! It's been a while since I've climbed a tree but its's a favourite pass time for my boys! Maybe I'll join them next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't start me on trees! There are many in my sentimental history - and The Giving Tree always makes me weep! (ongoing sooky mama issues)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caleb loves going to the park that had 'good' trees but Poppy is the one with no fear - as always. I love the ladybug in the tree

    ReplyDelete
  5. We climbed trees for the first time last month. My heart melted when my girl hugged the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post brought back many wonderful memories. As a child growing up in Singapore my sister & I were often to be found in the frangipani tree - hours of make believe
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgoues pics, I just love those trees. I am forever climbing trees to retrieve my sons who climb so far up then can't get down. It is certainly their favourite pastime too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post! We are practicing our tree climbing around here a lot lately - we live on the end of a dead end lane and so climb all the huge pine trees that go up the lane - you just pick one that is the one you feel likje todya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son just loves that story, and I love your kids' version! Another poem that calls to me by Shel Silverstein about trees is:

    "A tree house, a free house,
    A secret you and me house,
    A high up in the leafy branches
    Cozy as can be house.

    A street house, a neat house,
    Be sure and wipe your feet house
    Is not my kind of house at all~
    Let's go live in a tree house."

    I've always dreamed of painting that on my walls or at least a sign I'd hang near my front door...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, it's been far too long since I actually climbed a tree, but I regularly give them a pat (or hug!) when nobody is looking...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post! I just climbed out of a tree yesterday, retrieving my 3 year old. Makes you feel young again!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails