Thursday, February 18, 2010

my creative space ... green tiles :: final


"With every passing of the needle the pain of loss bit and began to ease." * 


green tiles

The green tiles quilt was finished on January 1, but only now do I feel ready to write about it.

Way back in June when we lost our little one, it occurred to me to make a quilt. At the time a friend said, "But that will take you ages." And this was the whole point. I wanted to have something to labour over and I didn't mind if it took until the baby's expected due date.

green tiles - the back

As it turned out it took longer than that but I think it needed to. At times I would find myself rushing and would need to gently remind myself that it was not a race. I trusted then that I would know when it was time for the final stitch.

green tiles in use

And I did.

For more creative spaces hop on over to Kirsty's place.

___________________________________________________________________

In making this quilt I have so many people to thank. Firstly, Kate who I emailed for advice on where to start. She in turn put me on to the Fresh Modern Quilt group where I was inspired by a beautiful quilt by Rita, whom I had yet to find in the blogosphere. When I emailed Rita to ask her permission to use her quilt as inspiration she not only gave me her blessing, she sent me a beautiful package of fabrics, some of which were actually used in the quilt. 

I also want to thank Kathy from Material Obsession. Poor Kathy got me at my rawest at the quilt show last June just days after the miscarriage. But she made me laugh and sent me on my way with her book and the offer of help if ever I needed it. I did and she was there as promised. It was also Kathy's suggestion that I hand quilt. I think she knew before I did that I needed to s-l-o-w down! 

And for all the amazing, warm, beautiful, kind, awesome-ness that came in the form of comments and emails and cards and packages from YOU! People I had never 'met' in person but who comforted and inspired me more than I can ever express. Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you!

*(Alden, 2003 as quoted in Grief Unseen: Healing Pregnancy Loss Through the Arts by Laura Seftel)

32 comments:

  1. Well done Mel. You have done a remarkable job, it looks amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Mel. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into this road you've travelled. The quilt is so lovely, and so precious, sad and beautiful. I'm glad you took your time with it, and took your time to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you for so many reasons Mel. To have had the strength to go though this, and talk and write about it and then put yourself into that quilt, it is simply amazing. The last picture brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad you found the right time to write about the quilt. It is absolutely beautiful. Thank you again for sharing this journey with us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Poppet. It’s precious.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mel. I came via Kirsty, and had not heard your story before. It is very, very moving. I hope quilting has eased the pain, if only a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is awesome for so many reasons ... what a story. And how fitting it's a project you can roll yourself into. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful.
    And so is that post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous images. It looks absolutely perfect Mel. Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story, it looks like your quilt is already bringing you & your family loads of comfort & snuggly hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is just so beautiful - something to be cherished. Thanks for sharing your story and perhaps showing others one way to start healing. My thoughts are with you and yours. Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel it looks incredible. What a beautiful work. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel! It's so beautiful, so very very beautiful. xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry for your loss - you have made a beautiful quilt which is clearly helping you along the way on this difficult journey - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning first quilt, and so very beautiful.

    It is a journey often travelled but rarely shared. I am so glad you had the courage to write down your thoughts and feelings, thereby allowing us to share part of your healing journey.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt. What a perfect project for such a difficult journey. I love that you are letting it be part of your family's life rather than displaying it out of reach somewhere. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is just - beautiful, the colours, the stitching. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that this is the truly amazing and beautiful think about craft. There is so much more than just stitching and fabric - and you can tell, it really is beautiful and it gives me such a feeling of calm.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, Mel. I love a quilt that has been a journey for the quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous quilt - such a labour of love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mel, it is perfect. Thank you for sharing your story, and your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful and brave, you are. (and the quilt, too).
    thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a beautiful quilt Mel, well done. I hope that it will bring you comfort for much time to come.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gone a bit watery over here!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Mel, what a stunning quilt. I hope it's done for you what you needed. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your fabrics are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its beautiful, thanks so much for sharing, I'm sure your posts have helped many people to feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your quilt is totally perfect Mel. I hope that the soothing stitching helped ease the pain in your heart. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mel, the way you have dealt with your grief is inspiring. You have shown me that broken hearts can be put back together, even if they will never be the same as they were. Your quilt - and you - are amazing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing quilt for so many reasons - as a outlet for your sadness, as a way of healing, as a beautiful reminder of your little one, as a tangible thing to bring comfort and last but not least as a work of art. I am so impressed - your first quilt is stunning and soooo neat! It is a thing of beauty. Well done you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on this beautiful quilt- it is inspiring...Thanks for sharing the journey despite the pain. I admire your decision to hand quilt and (try to) imagine all the contemplation that was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful mel, I hope the process helped you to grieve & heal...

    ReplyDelete
  32. So glad you finished it and well worth taking the time on it, such beauty and mening!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails