Sunday, March 28, 2010

the "f" word

No not that one! The other one.

Frogged.

IMG_8080

A while ago I admitted to the stealth knitter herself that I had started a scarf well before the birth of my first child, but had yet to complete it due to ... well, ok I don't know how to cast off alright?! That first child was born almost five years ago and every now and then over the years I have found said scarf bundled up here and there.

And every now and then a row or two would be added.

And then in another of my massive - if not sporadic - clean up's the never-ending scarf would again be squirreled away somewhere.

After the latest find (around about this time I assume), I decided it looked quite decorative sitting in a nice basket. And that's where it has now sat waiting ever so patiently, collecting dust, to be completed and just worn already!

So back to the casting off. Tania then kindly (well, actually she SHOUTED it at me), offered to show me how to cast-off the never-ending scarf should I manage to get down to the Melbourne version of Stitches and Craft. Very tempting. But then I appraised the scarf again and wondered at how much better it might look if I went a bit crazy and added a bit of pearl stitching into the mix ...

And so in a rush of blood I f----ed it up

IMG_8078


And guess what friends?


IMG_8079


Last night I watched about three you tube videos trying to remember how to cast on.

Watch this space for scarf progress! Actually probably best you don't. It could take five years off your life.

8 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOD. I can say nothing more.

    (although I'm doing that simultaneous laugh/cry thing).

    JUST HOLD YOUR HORSES NEXT TIME AND EMAIL ME!

    Sorry. Shouting again. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! You frogged the lot? Looks like you might benefit from using a lifeline in your knitting - more youtube for you:)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8qzSaJnZA

    Looks like you've ended up with a ball of gorgeous yarn though!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear oh dear! Melly, Melly, Melly! The best advice I ever got from my guru was to NEVER start your first knitting project with a scarf for one of the most obvious reasons ........ it's B-O-R-I-N-G!!! Let's talk simple child beanie or vest knit in the round next time. Much more interesting and much quicker for that first bite of satisfaction! In the meantime you need to get onto Tangled Yarns and see some of their wonderful knit-a-longs for ideas! Talk soon, X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I totally get it. I actually started one last year, and it went no where so it turned into a "knitted smile" for Ellie. I have just seen the cutest little child's Beanie in this months Notebook Magazine and I'm thinking of giving it a go. I'll try it with you if you're up for it?

    And I'm with Antonia. A scarf doesn't cut it for those with knitting attention difficulties like me. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, and it's not laughing at you it's laughing cos you are so clever at telling an entertaining story. Whatever you do, don't give up. It's gorgeous yarn that needs to be utilised.

    M*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's ok! Seriously. You will have it going in no time. Last year I linked to an awesome video on casting on - it was SO easy I was sure it wouldn't work. But it did. And I even FINISHED A SCARF! AND STRAIGHT AFTER I STARTED ANOTHER! Wild I know. I will find that link. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooo! I've no doubt you'll turn that ball into something great when you are up to facing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So are you gluing the ends and making it into a fabulous earing, it wold still warm the neck think, see that is all the help I can be when it somes to knitting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails