Thursday, April 15, 2010

my creative space :: table


A few weeks ago I mentioned I had lost my creative space when the front room we had referred to as "the art room" was reverted back to a bedroom. Bedtimes had become increasingly difficult and finally we realised the small people may need a (hopefully temporary), separation. 

And so the sewing space is now on the dining room table (grumble), in the middle of the lounge room (grumble, grumble). Places need to be found for fabric* to make way for books (grumble to the power of three).


fabric sorted


And so it was in this grumbling state of mind that I happened upon this photo on flickr ...



Image courtesy of Knitsteel


... and was reminded that I once said to my closest friend, while pregnant with my first baby (the one that is now taking over my fabric shelves), that when I thought about my future I visualised a large  dining room table covered with tonnes of "stuff" and surrounded by tonnes of kids. 


table


And suddenly I realised that, with a few exceptions (i.e. the "tonnes" of kids. And I reserve the right to revise what "tonnes" means to me), I had what I always wanted. 

A "knock-about-don't-have-to-be-too-worried-what-gets-on-it-salvaged-from-the-skip-next-door" table with an ever changing range of projects going on (as I type play dough snails, snakes and button-adorned cupcakes are being made).


table


So maybe I won't grumble too much about losing my space when I am gaining so much more. 

For more creative spaces hop on over to Kirsty's place

* On the topic of fabric I am finally going to put up my better-late-than-never bloggy birthday giveaway TOMORROW!  I promise!

14 comments:

  1. Well done you Every Cloud Has a Single Lining lady! And the poppets do eventually go to bed (beautifully) - and that's the bit when you get to make the gigantic mess all for yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great lesson for all of us...I can relate to bedtime drama as I do have TONNES of kids haha...And find myself sometimes doing crazy things to figure out a solution to the problem. Hoepfully yours if very temporary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it looks far to neat though!! Comiserations on loosing sewing space. Poor you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sympathise as I'm in the same boat with our dining table, but you're absolutely right about the gain. You've made this mama feel alot better about her small corner of creativity too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have a space but it's right next to the kitchen & I'm really enjoying still being "in the action".

    I love your half full attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely and I couldn't agree more. Some moments I look around at all my stuff and all the kids stuff and it seems overwhelming but then, deep breath, in, out -its exactly the right kind of stuff, what I always wanted my life to be full of. Creativity and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit I am a bit of a neat freak, everything has it's place, but you're so right, sharing space as a family is really so important & you do gain so much more..you've inspired me to relax a little & see what may come...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, I can relate to the chaos of the dining room/living room/any room creative space. I long for order, but secretly can't live without the disorder. Yours looks lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you put it like that, what a lovely scene of domestic bliss/chaos. I'll have to embrace your attitude as well- our "study" has filing cabinet, fabrics, wool, old birthday cards strewn everywhere, a toy piano that is always on repeat Christmas jingles and boxes that are still packed from the last move. It was great to finally meet you last night too. Always nice to put faces to blogs!

    April 15,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally understand your grumbles but great that you could see the sunny side! I just spent the afternoon preparing canvases for paintings terrifyingly close to my two daughters who were throwing paint around on paper mache masks. It all added a little bit of a thrill to an otherwise mundane task! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Mel!
    what time are you coming over for cupcakes :)
    hugs to you lovely lady

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that post! Thanks so much for reminding me that I have everything that I always wanted that includes the mess, the chaos and the shared spaces. Happy creating! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well written. Thank you. Whenever I see a scratch, or a pen mark, or a blob of paint on the dining room table, I think about what that mark will mean 20 years from now. I can't bear to sand off or remove marks that don't come off with a washcloth.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails