Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pink-a-licious

Let's talk about pink


cup'o'pink


Love it or loathe it if you have a child in your life of the female variety it seems impossible to avoid it.


IMG_0141


Believe me I've tried. I feel like I've been suggesting "other colours" for five years. And then some where along the line I kinda gave up and figured I had better just go with the flow.


vest in progress


But there is pink and there is pink right? For instance if pink is paired with certain other colours I seem to find it rather pleasing. Which is how I felt when I first saw this gorgeous Liberty print and which was why I felt I had to purchase quite a bit of it when I saw it in London last year.


Liberty


Not long after that trip I happened upon this gorgeous quilt on Flickr and knew instantly I wanted to do something similar for my pinkaliscious girl.*


Sienna's quilt in progress


And I got a head start at the Sunday Craft Room get together where not only did I get to cut and sew for more than five minutes in a row, I got to finally put faces to names (the lovely Sheridan and Amy) as well as meet some great new people!

So I say let's embrace (certain shades and combinations of), PINK!

* A very weird (and excellent), thing happened when I went to the Craft and Quilt Fair. Armed with the photo of my intended quilt I stalked the fabric stands in search of similar fabrics (in particular, the brown with the large pink dots). When I approached Cathy at Kelani and showed her the photo she declared, "That's my quilt!" How's that for random excellence?!

12 comments:

  1. ahhhh, the joys of girls and pinks!
    most of us all set out to avoid an overly pink girly girl but it is everywhere and with gifts & hand me downs sometimes it's just impossible to avoid.
    you are right, there are certain pinks that just look amazing, and I think you found them!
    what a great place to meet faces & have a giggle, that's what is so great about blogland!
    hope your week is a happy one Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since having a little girl myself, I have truly become the queen of pink. LOVE it!!! Makes me happy all over.
    And how ace is Cathy????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I long ago surrended to Maddie's love of all things pink. I figure better to embrace and hope she gets over it.

    BTW - Gorgeous quilt in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to seeing that quilt when it's completed - it will be gorgeous! BTW I have 3 girls and none of them have ever loved pink, isn't that weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big pink fan, but you're right it must be paired with other pleasing colours to pull it off well. I have loads of pink around my place, too much I think for a house full of boys..I wonder how long I'll be able to get away with it...That liberty fabric is beautiful, it's going to be a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm rather chuffed that my Miss B is TotaLLy into purple at the moment - it is a nice change from all the pink that has been inflicted upon this household!

    That Liberty print is truly gorgeous, pink or not, can't wait to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your pink thoughts. I am also struggling with the pink tidal wave that seems inevitable now that we found out we're having a girl. But it's beautiful in small doses. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I came over this way after reading your comment on ecoMIlF blog mentioning Borax. I think it is available at larger hardware stores like Bunnings.
    The pink stage doesn't last forever. I don't see many teenage girls wearing oink and Ibet their mothers are wishing to have the pink stage back sometimes.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mel, I have a house of all boys and not much pink in sight, so when I get to make a quilt for a girl - I am in heaven. It was so lovely to meet you in Sydney at the Craft Show - and what a coincidence!!! Good luck with the quilt - I can't wait to see it when it is finished. That Liberty print is still one of my absolute favourites!!! There are so many shades of pink in it and the brown just co-ordinates beautifully with it. good luck with the fabric matching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Embrace the right shades of pink whilst it lasts I say....
    Loving the random coincidences of your Craft show visit and that Liberty print. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned to love pink, and then my daughter switched her focus to blues. I still like pink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That fabric is just Beautiful! By the way I LOVE your banner - great shot - so effective!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails