Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Disco Duds

Poor Luca. What with all the pink quilty, yarny*, dressy** stuff going on in the house for Ms Pinkalicious my poor fella tends to miss out a bit.

apprentice

A year ago I bought some electric blue corduroy as a last resort at Spotlight because it was the only colour they had left and I was desperate to redeem myself in the pant making department. Well, a year later folks and I finally decided to dive back into the pant making waters. Using a pair of much loved pants as a sort-of pattern and the opportunity to sew afforded by a rainy day and Mary Poppins on high rotation, I got to whipping up the duds.***

disco pants

For some reason (probably aided by my addition of the psychedelic Prints Charming pockets), they turned out to look like a pair of disco flares circa 1970.

disco pants

And bizarrely they turned my, "Don't dance!!" boy into Disco Stu himself.

disco pants

It was hard to get a photo in between bouts of twirls, leaps and pirouettes

disco pants

And then finally Disco Stu was all boogied out

disco pants

In what I can only gather is an overwhelming feeling of relief and sheer gratitude that I finally made him something he has barely taken them off in the last 24 hours. I really should make him things more often.

* Back to girly yarny related crafts tomorrow ...
** Are you coming to the Ice-Cream Social? You should!
*** I'm pretty sure "Duds" is Aussie slang for pants. When I referred to his pants this morning to his art teacher (who sounded English) as "duds", she very politely said, "Oh no they're not duds I think they're great" ...

12 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Love disco stu & looks like he loves his pants - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love em Mel! Try the Ottobre boy pants if you want less disco flare, but I think these look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fab! Love 'em!
    I love all the disco dancing pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job well done, he looks chuffed to bits x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little man is a dude in his duds! very cute. I have joined the ice cream social, should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're great - bright and happy just what kids love to wear!! And yes I am joining in the ice cream fun, just ordered my fabric today (more cosmo cricket!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, you're a good mummy, sewing for a boy! I love how much he loves his pants. How old is this kid? Into fashion already?! Luckily my two boys don't notice yet that I dress them in the most dire of op-shopped wear every day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pants are wonderful... good thinking to put that great pocket on the front. I always put the colourful pocket on the back and then my son insists of wearing the pants back to front.

    I hope he keeps on dancing - so very wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're fantastic!

    I love the last photo... disco dancing is pretty tiring!

    My little boy loves his corduroy pants. His latest ones are bright purple with blue felt circles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DUDE! I love the disco duds! How cool

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! And how nice to have a happy recipient :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails