Thursday, August 12, 2010

my creative space :: a wedding quilt ... or two

Many many many months ago we were invited to an old high school friend's wedding in his adopted home town of New York and in a weird case of denial, probably brought on by the recent intense "don't leave my side-ness" of the youngest child* it only dawned on me three weeks ago that it was all really happening. Soon.

And that's when it also hit me that perhaps I could make a quilt for the happy couple. And then in the next second I realised that would be crazy given the time constraints. I fired off a text to a quilty friend:

"Just realised I should have made J & E a quilt! Too late now?"

To which she, enabler that she is, responded, "Nah not too late. Big squares!"

Fast forward a couple of hours an I had pulled tonnes of fabric off the shelves aiming for a version of the "Avalon" quilt from Material Obsession 1. Fast forward a couple more hours and I had this

version one

Then for some reason a few days later I thought I'd send the bride-to-be an email enquiring about her tastes in homewares, favourite colours and so on. The reply was along the lines of, "J (husband-to-be), would say I have eclectic taste. I love all colours, especially blues and greens. Don't really like reds and oranges."

Gulp.

So it was back to the drawing board and a few weeks later I have this

wedding quilt

A disappearing nine-square patch made entirely from the stash (insert little happy dance), including some  vintage fabric in the form of a pillowcase sent to me awhile ago by Andi. And I know for a fact that the bride loves op-shopping ... or the American equivalent.

And because it was a windy day and because, well, I do actually really love this quilt I thought we'd just snap a few more shots together ...

wedding quilt

wedding quilt

wedding quilt

wedding quilt

wedding quilt

Sigh. Yes it will be hard to let this one go. But I am quite chuffed to think of it sitting elegantly flung onto a sofa somewhere in NYC. Did I mention the bride also works for Martha Stewart? No pressure or anything.

But first for some quilting and binding. This baby needs to be on a plane in two weeks time.

For more creative spaces, hop on over to Kirsty's digs.

* the eldest on the other hand couldn't care less so long as she's having the holiday of a lifetime at the grandparents place who have recently installed a "Secret Garden". She is in Mary Lennox heaven at the thought.

23 comments:

  1. Those colours are divine....so clever of you and I am sure the receiver will be in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done your Quilt looks Fabulous...Love the fabrics & that pattern is a fav of mine..so easy but very effective...I'm sure the Newlyweds will just love it.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody gorgeous.... Both of them... xt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - breathtaking. Go you, I am glad that you showed lots of pics - they are all gold.
    I really love the greens, even the first one was lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! You make me chortle - you fly by the seat of your pantster, you! I know where that 'reds and oranges' version would like to live...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely!
    What a fantastic wedding present.
    Lucky people.
    And your photos are beautiful.
    I've got to admit though - I'm a 'red and orange' girl, so I love that first one.
    It'd look great on my bed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hopped over from Kootoyoo for a visit and oh my what a lovely space to find! Both the quilts are wonderful! So glad I found your space today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mel, what a lucky couple! And if E doesn't appreciate it, I will personally drive to NYC and steal it right off her fashionable couch!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a gorgeous quilt. So happy to have contributed a little part.
    And that first quilt .. I'll have it!
    Andi ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They both look fantastic! I am so impressed you got 2 made in such a short time. I'm looking forward to seeing them quilted.
    Good luck with the packing, and I'm sure the small person will be fine after the actual goodbyes are over.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ADORE your disappearing 9-patch. I've wanted to try one and I love it with the sashing. Mind if I rip this off completely? (In reds and oranges?!)

    Q: how many different fabrics did you use?

    Q2: What are you going to do with your lovely first quilt? What a shame, to have a spare...

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!! That is one gorgeous quilt, they will be sure to love it! Such a beautiful wedding gift. I really, really, like the 1st one too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both these quilts are amazing! Personally love the colours in the top one. Your enabler is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just as well you asked!!

    They are both fantastic quilt tops, but I would probably cry big tears of happiness were someone to make a quilt like that for my wedding.

    I'm sure that even the Martha Stewart craft department couldn't help but get teary eyed either.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness. You're a machine! Can't believe how quick you produced not one, but two quilts! Fantastic! They are so beautiful. Thanks for your comment on my Handmade Christmas Challenge post. Look forward to you joining in! Trace :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would be forever happy if someone made this with so much love for me on my wedding day. They will be blown away. Your quilt is gorgeous and so are you. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. the green is lovely but the red is to die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That green and blue quilt is just gorgeous. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blue and green are beautiful - I am planning a similar one! What pressure - a friend/employee of Martha Stewart!!! I bet the bride loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gasp! Truly stunning and inspiring quilt!
    I too makes quilts, but yours are so beautiful and well put together, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails