Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Max

Max


A few weeks before my 30th birthday (six years ago - *gulp*), I spotted that gorgeous fellow above in a shop run by a breeder of Burmilla cats. I'd never heard of the breed before and really couldn't have cared less what he was. I just fell in love on the spot with this cute little silver bundle. After much negotiation with the non-cat-loving Mr I finally won out and Max ended up being my birthday present.

He was soon dubbed "cat-dog" due to his ability to play fetch, go for walks on a lead and a penchant for playing hide and seek. Within a few days he had the Mr well and truly won over.

Fast forward a few years and poor old Maxie had to get used to small babies entering his domain. At times he looked visibly depressed that he was no longer the only focus of our affections but before long he was submitting to all sorts of child lead torture fun.


Max


Max


And truth be told Max is probably the family member who was most enthusiastic about my entry in the world of sewing and quilts


Max


Helper


Max and quilting


On Sunday afternoon Maxie was crossing the road, no doubt to see one of his many neighbourhood "friends", when he was hit by a car. Luckily the people who hit him know us and critical minutes were saved getting him up to the local vets. As I write this Maxie is still alive but has some fairly massive injuries. I'm still waiting for the vets to tell us we need to let him go but for the moment they are giving us hope that they have seen cats fully recover from the same state that Maxie is currently in.

And so we wait and we hope for our affectionate, gentle, quilt-loving, sun-worshipping boy to make it through and come back home where he belongs ...


Max


... in the sun atop of a pile of clean laundry.

28 comments:

  1. Oh, I am the first of no doubt many to wish you and your family many hugs and prayers in such a difficult time. Our fur-babies are just as much a part of the family as those with 2 legs, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, having lost our best doggy friend just last week, i totally know what you are going through. I have my fingers and toes crossed for a happy, quilt snuggling future for Max. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I'm really hoping he recovers and comes home. You guys must feel awful. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Max I hope that Max will be ok and that he'll come home soon. Take care.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. Sending lots of love and fingers crossed for poor little Max. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you lots of good wishes for the recovery of your very beautiful feline friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous puss. Hoping he'll pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you poor, poor chook. Get that pile of clean folded washing ready for Max to roost on. I have everything crossed for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Max and poor you! Hope he makes a speedy recovery x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lost my Max (also Maxi, but without the "e") 4 months ago now at the ripe old age of 15 1/5. He had been through many a scrape in his time on this earth, one of those being hit by a car also, of which he pulled through just fine. He too had a lot of "dog like" tendancies, I'm hoping my Maxi's fighting spirit is in your Maxie as well, and that he'll be well and reunited with you all very soon :) He really is a handsome little man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope he pulls through with a full recovery and is once again lounging on your wonderful quilts. XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending happy cat recovery thoughts to you all!
    Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Mel. I am so sorry to hear about poor Max's accident. I'm also adding my well wishes and will keep Max in my thoughts.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can totally sympathise! I know how worried i'd be if it was my kitty. Sending positive thoughts you and Max's way. I'm sure he'll fight to come home to you and snuggle in your lovely quilts again. (((hugs)))
    Sal. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurt animals always make me cry :(. Hope the little fella is making a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! He is so cute and gorgeous. I dearly hope he is ok and back sleeping on your clean washing again soon. Best of luck x

    ReplyDelete
  17. How shattering Mel! He truly is a gorgeous cat. Speedy recovery to him - chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hoping you get good news soon. What a beautiful boy Max is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my goodness...Max is so sweet! What a beautiful kitty he is. He has a face that just begs for kisses!!! My heart breaks for you and I'm praying very hard that Max completely recovers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is beautiful! When I was a teenager our cat was hit by a car, pretty badly, he lost a leg. But more then 10 years later he is still thriving, and acting like he has the normal 4 legs. Cats have an amazing strength to survive, but I am still wishing you and your family all the best x

    ReplyDelete
  21. so sorry for max.
    he looks so big and cuddly!
    good luck + best wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'm so sorry, he is such a gorgeous boy, fingers firmly crossed until he gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no, Mel I am SO sorry for you all, what a horrible anxious wait. Thinking of you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Mel! I hope he has pulled through!! Thinking of you xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an adorable cat and touching tribute to him! I hope that he comes back to you for many more years of loving!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Best of luck to Max and your family. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh nooooo. This post started out so wonderfully. Max is absolutely beautiful. And then it went bad. I'm so so sorry to hear about the accident. I'll be wishing and hoping and sending healing vibes to Max. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails