Thursday, December 2, 2010

my creative space

I've invented a new word:

RUSHTIC: Adj. (pron: "RAH-shh-tick"). A way to describe an item that is made hurriedly and winds up (or can be passed of as), looking quite rustic.

I'll give you a visual description:

advent calendar


Rushtic is the result of becoming aware on the 30 December that the advent calendar you carefully wrapped and carted all the way back from Germany the year before has somehow disappeared and you realise you have about two hours to make another one before pre-school pick up and there will be no time for nice neat turned edges. And breathe out.


advent calendar


The look is undoubtedly helped by constant requests for food by a three-year old (should you happen to have one handy), and the occasional toileting help also required by said three-year old.

For more creative spaces that are probably slightly less "rushtic" head on over to Kirsty's place.

Oh and I almost forgot ...

advent calendar



Edited to Add: Fabric was found entirely in my stash (such were my time constraints!) and include a couple of prints from Kokka gifted to me from Kate, light weight denim from Kelani Fabrics, "Starburst" (?) by Prints Charming and "Rick Rack" from Flowerpress. The heavy linen for the background was from Ikea and the christmas print was picked up in Munich, Germany last year and I was told it was by a Spanish designer. 

20 comments:

  1. Hey it does the job doesn't it?? I'm making an Advent Calendar in January this year, to pace myself & see if i make 4, one for each child OR a family sized one where you can shove 4 goodies in each day. They would share & take turns, but hey, it's the most indulgent time of the year & my 4 would be happy with crafty bits & pieces anyway, not chocolate or plastic junk!! Maybe 12 days of Christmas, hey, there is still time to pull that rabbit out of my busy hat this year!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I've missed the boat again - so there are two cardboard chocolate window newsagent boxey things in our kitchen since yesterday - bought after school on 30th. Yours is divine - rushtic is the way to go!
    Carmel
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know why I am a fan of the raw edge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your advent calendar is gorgeous, I'd certainly want it hanging in my house! And let's face it, you could have spent months and months on creating something to exacting standards, and would still notice it's flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it. RUSHTIC is my new word for the day. year. actually just forever. I am one of those 'near enough' kinda gals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rushtic.. adding that one to my vocab! I think your rushtic advent calender looks fab : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I enjoy rushtic a lot! In fact I have been known to produce rushtic stuff on occasion. I would gladly hang your rushtic advent calendar in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I just love rushtic. More rushtic please! It's gorgeous, Mel. Absolutely my favourite advent calendar seen on blogs this year (and I've seen a lot in the last two days!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, its beautiful (and I thought that even before I spied my rickrack on a couple of pockets though that does make me love it even more).

    I agree with Amy, the best of all I've seen and its inspired me, maybe next year we give up the cardboard ones, though ours have a roadtrip mid month and that's pretty hard going. Maybe I could do a roll up one...

    Oh and rushtic is my word for the day too, inspired :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is absolutely spectacular, I want one just the same, in fact I might give it a go now! Fabo and Merry Christmas to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. At least you made one Mel and a good one too! I had the best of intentions, but just not possible this year. And Merry Christmas back! I hope it's a great time with your lovelies x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is lovely...at least it is original.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so gorgeous Mel, rushtic is the new black!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mel I love it - will try and make one for next year (I may be the only blogger in the world without an advent calender).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!!

    And I love your new word RUSHTIC. That describes most of my creating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mel I just found you through Susie. Your advent calendar is such a work of art - take a bow! I'm your newest happy follower. J x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too, come from susie blog. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mel! I love this! I attempted to make one exactly the same this year (before reading your blog!) but it didn't work out very well so it ended up as a bunting (you can see here http://blogsteaandme.blogspot.com/2010/11/ahhh-advent-you-are-welcome-in-this.html) but I still love it, as did the kids! But I do love yours xxx
    your newest follower
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails