Almost every time I embark on clothes sewing I am immediately longing for the simple straight lines of piecing a quilt.
BUT having had this book
for over a year and being stuck for an idea for a Christmas present for my sister I confidently told her to "pick a pattern", and I would make it for her.
Luckily (?) she picked the pattern on the front cover (View E) and for over two weeks I would open to the pattern instructions page almost willing it to have morphed into English since the last time I looked.
Surprise surprise it never did.
So armed with some gorgeous floaty, sheer hail spot cotton from Tessuti I took my first few hesitant steps at my first Japanese pattern.
Actually though those first few steps involved a whole sewing session dedicated to figuring out how to draft the pattern pieces
Um yeah. That was a fun few hours. However once I realised that the seam allowance was NOT included in the pattern pieces (lucky I realised BEFORE I started to cut), it was all smooth sailing from there. I found once I was actually sitting at the machine and sewing rather than just sitting on the couch trying to decipher the pattern it all started to become very clear and quite straight forward.
So straight forward that it was done over two relatively short weekend sewing sessions.
And the result was that the sister was very chuffed* but I was probably more chuffed that I had finally lost my Japanese pattern book sewing virginity.
Now to make one for myself.
(Another photo showing the reversed box pleats can be seen here. My door kinda blocked those out in this photo!).
* Especially once I'd made a few adjustments to the sleeves so they fit properly ;)