Thursday, March 3, 2011

my creative space :: that'll do

A long long time ago the Mr was throwing out a stack of old business and casual shirts and having just read Handmade Home I came over all "nothing must be wasted" and screamed at him to, "stop right there and give me those perfectly good shirts which could be made into ... something".

So they sat and they sat until I had the brainwave to chop them up and make them into a quilt for Luca. I thought big squares, quite simple, piece of cake it'll be whipped up in no time.

In the meantime some further inspiration popped up when Kate made a lovely lap quilt for her little bloke.

But still my shirts waited ... and waited until finally recently in a few marathon sewing sessions the top was done


shirt quilt


In the end I also included a beige hail-spot shirt of mine which I could never quite part with but that made me look like I was in need of immediate hospitalisation which I think has given it a bit of a break from all the blue.

And finally, with a bit of support via twitter, I got up the guts to chop in to one very special shirt ...


shirt quilt


... one that the Mr wore on our first date ... almost (gulp) twenty years ago.

Now to back it and quilt it.

For more creative spaces you just know Kirsty's got the goods.

14 comments:

  1. love it! it's always going to be a really special quilt.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh wow- That's one very special quilt for so many reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh - what a great thing to do with memory clothes.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wonderful that you've included 'the shirt' in this quilt. It will be passed down from generation to generation and 'your' story will too. That's what it's all about. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it to bits, I do.

    Do you know what I have been doing? Retrieving our baby clothes from friends now that they're kidlets are grown, oohing at the sweetness of them and then HACKING INTO THEM WITH A PAIR OF SCISSORS, KEEPING A SQUARE AND THROWING THE REST.

    Just writing that has me back rocking in the corner. That is one angsty quilt in the making...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow - that is brave - it's a little weird to have it on son's lap?@! gorgeous but a little mind-blowing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific! Bravo! Recycling and reminicing. It's going to be very special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good shirt quilt, beautiful Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky Luca, a quilt full of memories...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How brilliant! Oh my goodness my hubby would have adored something like that, he still talks about all his favourite shirts that have been donated over the years...

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooo...you have inspired me!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh awesome! Really good idea and looks great so far :-) love all the different patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw gorgeous post. Great earthy colours happening there! Congrats on 'almost' 20 years - we're right up there with that figure too. It's frightening...

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahaha my husbie had a paisley shirt like that. Was it blazer> from myer?

    xo em

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails