Thursday, March 24, 2011

my creative space

"... at the end of the day, it's only a quilt". 

I have had these words ringing in my ears since I read them on Monday on Kate's excellent blog series detailing her process of making a quilt. And with this as my mantra I am making a solemn vow to slice and dice (in a Kate like fashion*) into this ever growing pile of loveliness


grey + yellow


I've been amassing this lot for a few months now and even though I was given this amazing quilt featuring my latest colour combination obsession I still have a unstructured, choppy, piece-y quilt in mind to make before this new little person of ours arrives. I think it's taken me this long because I've been too scared to forge ahead and just have a crack. Well enough of that. Time to start chopping and sewing. After all,  (say it with me), "it's only a quilt"!

EXCEPT of course when you walk out of your front door on the way to school, only to find a massive parcel stuffed in your letterbox and the return address is listed as this person, at which point you tear open the parcel (even though you're running late for said school pick up) ...


IMG_0727


... and pretty much faint on the spot at what you find in your hands


gift

In this case, I promise you, it's not just a quilt. It's a very, very thoughtful, gorgeous piece of art from a truly amazing, generous and talented woman! Thank you Rita, so much. You have no idea how much this will be treasured.

For more creative spaces click on over to Kirsty's.

* minus the slicing and dicing of fingers!

20 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOD. Rita is GORGEOUS. So are you for that matter. Rita is also clever. She knows a good home for a quilt when she sees one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a beautiful, beautiful gift. I love your fabrics up there too, I just know your quilt will be something quite stunning..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think or plan. Just chop, sew and press. Chop, sew and press.

    I promise you...you will love the result

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to see what loveliness you make with that fabric pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is that an old yellow papercut of mine? wish I had some more of that left...
    happy chopping and sewing, its my relaxation tool of late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lucky lady with that quilt! And what a fab pile of fabrics - what are the text prints?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you lucky, lucky thing you!
    Have fun with the chopping & sewing tool. May the force be with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a sweetie, a red pepper quilt! Lucky you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! I have never known a baby to have such a stunning selection of quilts to roll / snuggle / drool on. I love the colours and fabrics you've picked for yours, it is going to be beautiful.

    [I had "quilters block" with Milla's quilt too, I didn't start it til I was 30-something weeks and finished sewing on the binding the night before she was born.]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you, Mel! I can't wait to see the finished product of your own making, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You cannot go wrong with those fabrics. I am certain. Gorgeous selection so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so gorgeous. A quilt is such a personal, memorable gift. A true keep-close keepsake. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my god, my heart just stopped beating. I fell in love with that quilt when I saw her post, the fabrics, the colours and of course that ever perfect quilting. You must of nearly fainted. I adore your fabrics that you have chosen so I can't wait to see what you make with that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow. what a beautiful quilt!! Lucky you!


    I love the image of those fabric cuts, beautiful mix of design and colour xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilt and great potential quilt. I too suffer from Can't-cut-i-tis....sometimes I don't think I can do justice to the lusciousness that is random fat quarters that I HAD to buy :o)
    Good luck with the bravery of slicing.
    Ab

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Mel this is going to be beautiful. I love your colour & fabric selections.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fabrics that you have picked out are lovely. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found you via My Creative Space and I've just got to tell you how much I love that little collection of fabric you have! I love it. I wish it were mine. Mmmm...wondering what you will do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh WOW, Mel! I believe this has given me goosebumps! I think fate's trying to tell you something? Probably along the lines of "Go forth and cut, for it will be awesome (like Rita)!".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! Yep, I've officially migrated to the "dark side" of quilting (as you put it!!). Love the fabric you've chosen, and HOW LUCKY ARE YOU? Rita's quilt is superb. I'm super inspired by lovely ladies making lovely modern quilts. Cheers, Nic

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails