Thursday, May 26, 2011

my creative space : another week, another quilt

With each passing week towards the birth of this baby another "must have that done" gets checked off the mental "to do" list (mental, because I never actually write these lists and mental because there is no way in the world all of this stuff swirling around in my brain will ever actually get done).

Last night it was the final stitches on the binding for the Grellow Baby Quilt (top shown here).


Grellow Quilt


This one has been waiting for the quilting bit for some time. I always figured I'd manage to do it on my machine but two lines in it was quite clear that no amount of careful basting was going to stop the puckering, perhaps due to the choice of a quite lofty wool batting left over from another quilt. So I cut my losses and sent off a late night text to my sanity saver, Suzanne who, in her usual style had it done and dusted in a few days.


IMG_1145


So glad I did.

The quilt features many an Aussie designer, most notably the awesome grey and white linens from Aunty Cookie as well as some of her "Paper Cuts" I bought as remnants a few years ago (which, I think is in fact my favourite fabric in the whole quilt), as well as some Pippijoe and some yellow dots from Sarah Fielke's "From Little Things" range (how cool is that fabric label name?! Only fitting some should find it's way into this quilt).


IMG_1147


So then, on to the next thing on my list ...

For lots more creative spaces pop on over here.


p.s A small quilt I made for the one and only Nova as part of the Down Under Doll Quilt Swap found it's way to her this week. In true, "I-don't-keep-a-list" style I forgot to take photos of it. Luckily she did and you can see it here. I followed the excellent "Non-pattern Pattern" tutorial detailed by The Silly Boodilly and had a ball doing it.

24 comments:

  1. Grellow is such a great baby quilt colour!!
    Your quilt is beautiful and the quilting is just right!! And your quilt for Nova is lovely too.
    You are so very productive!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fabulous Mel! Suzanne's quilting suits it perfectly. And I think yellow and grey (or anything and grey) is my most favourite colour combo. Loooooooove it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, and the quilting looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that my friend, is one amazing quilt.

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I absolutely love it! Thinking of these colours for our bedroom - desperate for a makeover!! Lovely, lovely job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt! Gorgeous - I would like one in those colours for my bed. The quilting on it looks fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Both quilts. Just wow. So terribly impressed and envious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, the colors are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must be sooo pleased with this one! I love all the fabrics you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh....

    I LOVE that. It's lovely. My 3 year old loves yellow and he just said he wants one 'just like that mummy'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these colours. And love that they're so un-typically baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one seriously stylish baby quilt! Love your choices and love the quilting. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. JUST AWESOME!I love your choice of fabric, colours and pattern.Very well done!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GORGEOUS quilt! love the colour combos. divine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, your quilt is gorgeous, the colours and pattern are fabulous. I am new to all this, and was just wondering how you constructed this quilt, did you use a tute/pattern you could direct me to? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this quilt is just so beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anonymous! Thanks for your comment and question. I can't reply because your email is hidden from me. If you could email me directly (jamenmel@gmail.com) I'll be better able to respond. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. absolutely gorgeous!
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how modern and clean this quilt looks. And I can never go past a birdie pattern!! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello!! I love this quilt. I was wondering if you could tell me how you made it! I would love the pattern. I can be emailed at nate.ollyce.prenkert@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails