Thursday, July 21, 2011

how to make an A-line skirt ... with a newborn baby

5 weeks old


Five weeks post this little dude I found myself in a bit of a conundrum: none of my regular clothes would fit (of COURSE though I stupidly tried them on just to check), and all of my maternity clothes were too baggy except for my jeans, which quite frankly, I'm sick of.

Looked as though it was time for me to finally confront my two all-time sewing fears: drafting a pattern for an A-line skirt from my actual measurements AND inserting a ZIPPER!

Sewing it went a little something like this:

Day One: Take measurements and draw up a vaguely A-line looking pattern on paper. Whoops, baby awake.

Day Two: Cut out pattern. Whoops, baby awake.

Day Three: Look for zipper insertion tutorials. Sew side seam. Whoops, baby awake.

Day Four: Follow zipper tutorial. Works! Awesome. Wonder why the baby isn't awake. Push on and attach waistband. Whoops, baby awake.

And that's about where I stopped.

Here's the finished result


A-line skirt


Yeah it's a bit wonky in parts. The waistband isn't quite finished and none of the seams have been finished off, such was my desperation to just WEAR IT (and such was the desperation of those around me no doubt to actually take off and wash my maternity jeans). BUT it fits! And did I mention it has a ZIPPER? It does!

Now to make another. If only that baby would sleep for longer than twenty minutes ...

An abundance of creative spaces here.

Excellent zipper tutorial here. Be prepared it's fast. I needed to watch it about five times before it sunk in but it's a ripper.

p.s. I've been totally CRAP at responding to comments lately ... hmmm I wonder why ... but I whole heartedly appreciate every one. I'll get better at responding. I will. 

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness he is just beautiful! I haven't been round for quite some time & look at that, you have had your gorgeous baby boy! Congratulations!! And your skirt is pretty fabulous too, what great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five weeks post delivery and you look FANTASTIC (as does baby Leo!). Surprised you even got near the sewing machine; but yes, awesome skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNAP SNAP SNAP! We could meet up and be Ikea skirt twinnies. Except that the You Sew Girl chook took me through mine step-by-step so mine is NOT wonky. Mine is beautifully finished and lined and all that jazz (except in the bits where I sneakily injected wonk)...

    PS. Would never be able to replicate the non-wonk again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so Cute, and I love the skirt - great material

    ReplyDelete
  5. also just had a giggle and am thinking thats not your arm in the baby pic.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the description of trying to sew with a newborn. I hope he sleeps longer than 20 mins for you soon as well.

    Did I mention that he is all sorts of gorgeous? I don't know if my comment worked on your last post, google was playing up. But many many congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is gorgeous! You look fantastic and I love the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I have made the same skirt too and it is one of my favourites... love Ikea fabric!
    Your new little man is a real little sweety... awwww :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I see my near future in this post...argh! Fabulous skirt, I wear Ikea fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes. It is really tricky trying to get things done with a new baby. I have spent many hours looking wistfully at un-finished projects whilst tending to the baby. But it still all goes far too quickly. Oh, and skirts are THE BEST! I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great skirt and even greater achievement getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skirt is very pretty and is bound to go a long way to improving life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh well done under extreme circumstances. It looks fantastic, love the fabric. And awwwww, love that little Bonds suit, my two had those. Sooo sweet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The skirt looks great -and don't stress about responding , you have far more important things to be doing!
    I love that little furrowed brow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG... Awesome! My bubba is 7mths & I'm still not that organised!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous skirt!
    Very gorgeous bubba!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh look at Leo, so, so cute! Awesome job on the skirt Mel, I remember so vividly those days of not fitting into the old clothes and the absolute dread of having to wear maternity clothes post baby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that fabric and the skirt looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. a new skirt makes everything better ... and no one will ever see the seams!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mel! I can really relate to your 'whoops baby awake'. Sometimes I find myself putting things off entirely. But as you have just experienced I thinks its best just to start...and you'll get there eventually! Great skirt and congratulations on baby Leo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore that fabric and the skirt looks lovely! And you look amazing for just having a baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. glorious achievement - i haven't done any of that and only have two children who are quite huge. so you are quite worthy of a sainting in my humble and biased opinion. hope you wear it to shreds or grow out of it quickly whatever suits you better at the time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails