Thursday, April 26, 2012

Grey days

It's been rare to see sun around our neck of the woods for some time now. Having experienced a few years of drought in Sydney it is a pretty spectacular thing to finally see images of our dam overflowing. Still it's amazing how endless days of grey skies can really impact on everyone's mood ... and laundry baskets!

So as if there wasn't already enough grey around I decided I needed a whole king-sized bed quilt full of it


Grey days


My pretty simple "Grey Days" quilt is made up of (lord knows how many), 5" squares sewn up into 9 square patches then they were all sewn together. This one had been in the pipeline for some time and only got worked on when I grabbed little snatches of sewing time here and there.

I keep fighting the feeling that I should've/could've done something much more intricate and complicated for this quilt but with a collection of such amazing fabrics, I felt that simple big-ish squares was the best way to showcase them.


Grey days


The fabrics I used included Aussie designers Aunty Cookie, Maze & Vale and some fabric printed as part of the Grey-ness swap by Suzy of Floating World Views. Also in there was some Echo by Lotta Jansdotter, old favourite honeycomb kei dots and a seasonal Liberty print I bought when I was in London a few years back.

Now I'm just waiting on a whole lotta backing fabric and this guy will be off to be long-arm quilted.

Oh and did I mention it's for MY bed? Finally a quilt for MY bed!

8 comments:

  1. One of my favourite quilts is one I made for my son's bed, and it is nothing more than 5" patchwork squares. I sometimes think that we spend so long chopping up and reassembling fabric that we forget to just admire gorgeous prints and simple quilting. Yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so beautiful! I never tire if grey, it's always a favourite. Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Mel. Where do you get your quilting done. I have two tops nearly ready for quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. so. beautiful.

    i am truly in awe of this one. love, love, love.

    too clever, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been a while since I sewed anything. Nice to see others still crafting away...

    This is lovely.

    xxt

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are amazing - stealing moment? good god most days i steal moments to empty my bladder!! well done you - you, your squeeze and your bed deserve it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. it really is so lovely, i am almost jealous! do you mind if i show it on my blog (with credit and link, of course)?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails