Friday, June 22, 2012

the guilty one


My life is all about the guilt. Guilt about sitting and knitting instead of tidying up, guilt about not making anyone's bed, guilt about serving up fish fingers for dinner (again), guilt about letting the kids watch too much telly, guilt about not reading anyone's blog, guilt about not even writing on my own. Extra special guilt for not even bothering to do the big, "He's one!" post.


One


But guess what? He's one! And the poor little dude didn't even score a card from us (more guilt). I'm guessing this is why the third child is usually the one who's happiest to role with the punches as they grow up since punches is all they've ever known (figuratively speaking of course).

Mind you he is very good at letting us know he's around. Especially when I attempt to supervise homework and he's trying to climb up my legs having been perfectly happy five seconds earlier to inspect the contents of the bathroom bin (for the fourth time that day). But gee whizz, just as I'm about to explode with the stress and guilt of it all he'll flash those (eight!) teeth of his and drop his head to the side and I wonder what on earth we would've done without him. Probably had better dinners and completed homework but where's the fun in that?




14 comments:

  1. Always happy to see a post from you in my reader, however often, or not, they appear, and I love this one.
    I wouldn't worry about that sweetie. I'm married to the baby (of four) of the family and they are so completely spoilt, not like us hard done by middle children ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided I've grown out of the guilt thing. I can't see where it's ever been of any use - and it seems to take up so much bloomin' time! Roll with the fish fingers, I say. And please know, you sweet One Year Old Kid, you are not the only third child to not score a birthday card. it's just the way the universe works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am that third child and bah, who cares. I still like fish fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HE is gorgeous, just love little Leo xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn he's cute (and working the camera already I see).

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. I love every world. Happy birthday to your little one. x Elizabeth form thedotdotblog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, guilt. Horrible stuff. Mine is currently too much tv, not enough time for my older child because the younger is so clingy and failing to give them as many vegetables as I should. I'm such a walking cliche. Such a gorgeous little boy, he won't care (or, indeed, notice) at all, and he'll grow up with plenty of protein from those fish fingers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure its good for them, isn't it, to eat fish fingers which they actually like and not get burdened with cards they can't read, and not having to worry about messing up the bed because it hasn't been made? That's what I tell myself anyway......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lady, lady, lady. As the third child - let me tell you - you're doing an ACE job.

    I'm no expert, but he looks pleased as punch, healthy, happy and content. And he'll be independent. Big tick of parenting.

    Don't beat yourself up. Treaure the great moments - the stolen moments, they are what count. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yep, that is so it. leave guilt to people who actually need it. not sure who they are but they sure aren't us!
    I agree with m&e - i've grown out of it. must invest in fish fingers and a tele though!!
    he sure is one sweet boy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's the guilt about not reading anyone's blog (mine really) that is the only guilt you should be feeling. Please rectify this situation immediately. I'm going to forgive you though because this little man is the most handsome little guy around. Well it's a toss up with Lukes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. our family theory is you can celebrate a birthday ANY day, week, or month. In fact my aunt with 7 children let them each pick a day to celebrate (4 of their birthdays were in the same month and that is no fun...!)

    I release you of all guilt about Day Of birthdays. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cutie. I think if you care about all these things then you are already a good mum.
    bxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Now go and make something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails